Online Patent Resources
There are a lot of great patent resources on the web. Below are listed some of our favorites.
- ESPACENET provides free access to more than 70 million patent documents worldwide for a thorough patent search.
- European Patent Office (EPO) is the main site for the European Patent Office.
- WIPO PATENTSCOPE provides access to more than 1.7 million patent applications disclosed through the PCT system for a patent search.
- USPTO is the main website for the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- USPTO Search gives you several options for searching US patents.
- Japanese Patent Search through the Japanese Industrial Property Digital Library allows access to their IP Gazettes.
- Chinese Patent Search provides English abstracts of Chinese invention patents (manually translated). (Note: Espacenet database includes English abstracts of Chinese invention patents and utility models (also manually translated) as well.)
- USPTO Public PAIR is a place where to monitor published patent applications.
- European Patent Register is an online system for monitoring patent applications.
There are many good patent blogs out there, some with specific areas of expertise. Find the one that most pertains to your business, as well as a couple more general ones.
- Patently-O is a blog that concentrates on patent prosecution tips for attorneys and inventors, statistics, and status updates of patent infringement cases.
- IPWatchdog is an online magazine that focuses on the news and business of IP.
- The Patent Prospector provides news, information, opinion, and sassy entertainment about all aspects of patents.